Monday, February 27, 2012

Alaska - The Last Frontier


I cruise to Alaska every summer and it has become the highlight of my year.  Some people think once you've been there, done it - why go again?  I can honestly say it is the most relaxing, beautiful and exciting cruise destination I have been to - and I cruise several times a year.

While Alaska has approximately 300 days of rain per year, the summers in this beautiful region are perfect to me.  The weather can change in an instant, from rainy and chilly to sunny and warm.  My best advice?  Dress in layers!

Eagles are plentiful here.  Look at the trees and if you see a golf ball, that's an eagle.  It is so wonderful to see them sitting together in pairs, or protecting their nests.  When they soar past the ship, they are definitely a sight to behold.  I've also seen whales, dolphins, salmon, sea otters, sea lions here.  Sadly, I've not yet seen a bear, although many people have.  I just never seem to be looking in the right direction.

Another amazing thing in Alaska is the glaciers.  I've flown over them, landed on them, walked on them, and seen them from a ship.  No matter how I see them, they are glorious and fantastic.  Hearing the crackling sounds and watching them break off and fall into the waters below.

I will return to Alaska in a few short months, happy to leave the 100 degree temps behind and welcome the beautiful natural scenery of the Pacific Northwest.

If you would like to join me in Alaska, or go on your own, please let me know.

Michelle Jackson - Cruise Holidays
(210) 858-6399
mjackson@cruiseholidays.com


No comments:

Post a Comment